I first encountered Sybil Taylor in August 2011 when I went to meet with her to discuss the possibility of training at Newborough Teacher Training Institute.
I had heard a lot of positive things about her, both as an individual and as a teacher, and I can say, after that first meeting, I knew that everything I had heard was indeed true.
My first encounter with Paul Cedrone was the evening of the first class in September and I knew, from that moment, that this was going to be a very enjoyable year.
Both Sybil and Paul are very passionate about what they do, and they hold very high standards for themselves in teaching us as students. As the weeks turned into months, I knew that, with the training I was receiving from them, I was going to become the best teacher that I could possibly be. I always felt that I could ask questions without feeling self conscious, and I was always comfortable, even when I made mistakes.
Both Sybil and Paul teach not only because they love it, but also because they are extremely good at it. If you are considering taking a course in the Montessori Early Childhood Education, I believe this is the course that you should take. As the years progress, I believe that you will begin to hear people say "The students that graduate from the Newborough Teacher Training Institute do so at the highest standard, and we are lucky to be able to employ them"
Good luck as you embark on your Montessori path, believe me when I say that you are in for the ‘ride of your life’
2012 Newborough Teacher Training Institute Graduate (with Honours)
Please fill out the form below to find our more about our program!
Early Childhood Montessori Teacher Education Course Curriculum
The Early Childhood Montessori course may be completed over a minimum period of ten months. That translates into at least 840 hours in the lecture room, in the classroom working with children, completing assignments and projects, and developing your albums and required materials.
The student teachers will learn about the purpose, and the educational philosophy of the Montessori materials being presented to them. We provide you with an opportunity to get hands-on practice with the materials, under the supervision of an instructor.
This includes studying:
- Pre-natal and Post-natal Child Care
- Birth Process
- Periods of Physical Development from 0 through 6 years
- Physiological Education from Birth through Six years of age
- Behaviour Management / Practical Life
- Purpose and practical presentations of everyday living exercises (Practical Life)
- Development of Movement and Personality
- Development of Education of the Senses: Visual, Tactile, Auditory, Olfactory, Baric, Thermic, and Stereognostic
- Purpose and practical presentations of the Sensorial materials
- Development of Language and the teaching of: Phonetic Alphabet, Writing, Reading and Early Grammar
- Teaching Numbers and Arithmetic/Mathematics
- Music and Movement
- Child Observation: language behaviour and development, physical and motor coordination, cognitive behaviour and development, emotional and social behaviour
- Approach to teaching cultural subjects: History, Geography, Biology, Anatomy and Science Experiments
- Other Setting Observation
- Arts and Crafts
- Homework – Projects, Essays, Making Albums, Making Montessori Materials
- Practicum – a qualified Montessori teacher will supervise the student teacher during his/her practice teaching with students in a Montessori environment
- Exams: Practical and Written
Instruction is given on the presentation, purpose, and the educational philosophy of the Montessori materials. The institute also provides an excellent opportunity for the students to have hands-on practice with the materials under the supervision of an instructor.
Book a personal tour of our campus today!